We are delighted to announce another HCL branded software product for IBM® mainframe customers around the world! HCL Z Data Tools (ZDT) and ZDT APIs.
ZDT is a set of tools that help you to manipulate data stored on z/OS® systems interactively and in batch processing. ZDT is designed to deal with a large production data efficiently while protecting integrity and privacy. With ZDT, access to mainframe data is made simple by its intuitive and consistent user interface across a wide range of data stores available on the platform. ZDT advantages include the following:
- Comprehensive support for a wide range of data store types: Data Sets (VSAM, QSAM, PDS, PDSE, AIM, OAM), DB2, IMS, WebSphere MQ, CICS and Hierarchical File System under UNIX System Services
- Accessing and manipulating mainframe data without programming.
- Manipulation interactively and in batch as well as RESTful APIs in conjunction with IBM® z/OS® Connect Enterprise Edition.
- Usage of templates to represent logical view of mainframe binary data. Templates are typically created from COPYBOOKs and enable to represent most complex data structures found on the platform.
- Knowledge retention of mainframe data by usage of the ZDT template repository.
- Powerful set of productivity improvement features to assist ISPF users.
In addition, we are announcing an add-on product called HCL ZDT APIs. This add-on product provides Java™ and Swift application programming interfaces (APIs) to manipulate mainframe data. APIs leverage ZDT’s template infrastructure to understand logical layout of mainframe binary data. Mainframe binary data is converted into JSON format and returned to API consumers in Java or Swift for easier interpretation and manipulation by developers with no mainframe background.
Usage scenario of ZDT APIs includes but not limited to the following scenarios:
- Replacement of legacy applications for batch processing of data in Java.
- Integration of traditional mainframe applications with new applications.
- Interpretation of mainframe operational data for analytics (eg. SMF and RMF data).
- Manipulation of mainframe data in virtual storage.
Sounds exciting? These are key functionality of ZDT and ZDT APIs to enable manipulation of mainframe data today and the future. Just HCL Z Asset Optimizer, those products are available with very flexible licensing terms:
- Monthly charge and you can cancel anytime
- Sub-capacity eligible: just buy the license for LPARs where you need the software
- Price based on LPAR capacity
With above, you can purchase just the right amount of ZDT and/or ZDT APIs license required for the duration you need.
Introduction to HCL Z Data Tools and APIs
Webinar: Introducing HCL Z Data Tools Register Here
Senior Product Manager